When it comes to getting the right knife for your camping or DIY, then you’ll want to make sure that you have the right one.
Benchmade bugouts are generally considered the best because of their lightweight composition.
However, the price point does not always agree with anyone.
Also, you might find that this knife is not that suited for your large hand.
You might also find that this knife lacks the power of some of the smaller-bladed knives.
But where can you find an alternative for this knife?
How much will you have to pay for a decent bugout alternative?
What features should a decent bugout knife have?
Well, you should keep reading this if you want all of the information.
List Of Best Benchmade Bugout Alternatives
OUR TOP PICK
Choose the CIVIVI Praxis Flipper Pocket Knife if you want a durable and fast-opening knife that's similar in length and build to the Benchmade Bugout.
This first knife is generally considered to be one of the most durable and fast-opening knives that you can get.
This is great if you need to get your blade out in a hurry.
This knife is made from high-quality material, made from the same type of material that you get from ball bearings.
This comes with a flipper tab that will make deploying this knife very easy.
When it comes to getting tasks done quickly, then we would certainly recommend having this knife for your needs.
This knife is very evenly weighted and will feel solid in your grip.
The handle is ergonomic and will be great for both cutting and sawing tasks.
This is great if you are wanting to slice through thick rope or you need to loosen something up quickly.
This is very similar in length and build quality to the Benchmade bugout.
This is why people pick this knife as the perfect alternative.
- Precision-engineered - this knife is amazing to use and has been designed to be used in many different scenarios.
- Similar to the Benchmade bugout - when it comes to blade length and weight, then this is not worlds away from the more expensive model.
- Decent price - this is very affordable, which is the reason why most people choose it. You won’t have to break the bank with this one.
- Easy slip - you can have this blade withdrawn and retracted within seconds. This is great if you need a job done quickly.
- Too heavy - a lot of users have found that this knife is a little unwieldy. This might impede certain cutting tasks.
Choose the Spyderco Para Military 2 Signature Folding Knife if you want a thin but reliable blade.
Next up, we have a knife that comes with a very thin and polished blade, great if you need to get into a tight space to pry something open.
This blade is specifically designed to give you a secure grip, coming as it does with an ergonomic handle.
This has removed any uncomfortable angles that can dig into your fingers.
This is a very reliable blade, despite the thinness of the knife itself.
This also comes with a compression locking mechanism that will allow you to flip it quickly.
This is a very dependable knife, which is very important when you are looking for something that will last longer than a few months.
This also comes with a hole in the blade that will allow you to hang it off a hook.
This is great if you need to grab it without unsheathing the blade first.
This is guaranteed premium support, with the blade and the handle easily weighted for tackling daily tasks.
- Weighted blade and handle - this is great if you are looking for a blade that comes with a hardened grip.
- Ergonomic handle - this comes with edges that will not cut into your hands when you are using it in the long term.
- Thin blade - if you need something that will wedge into tight spaces, then this is a great knife to have. It will not snap or dull too quickly either.
- Paramilitary 2 design - this is designed to help you use the blade for longer. This is a military-grade weapon.
- Thin blade - despite the durability of the blade, there are users out there that might find it difficult to use this blade with confidence.
Choose the Zero Tolerance And Tim Galyean Pocketknife if you want an all rounder knife that has a thick blade and is more powerful than the Benchmade Bugout.
Next up, if you want a thicker blade, then this is the knife for you.
This is a 2-inch blade with a serrated edge, which will certainly help for hardcore cutting jobs.
This comes with a ball bearing flipper that will help you to unsheathe your knife within seconds.
This is great if you want a blade that can act fast and cut something loose quickly and effectively.
This knife is able to deliver more power than some of the others that we have on this list.
It is certainly more powerful than the Benchmade bugout.
This also comes with an ergonomic handle shape that will allow you a solid two-finger grip on the edges.
This is an all-rounder knife that is very compact and strong.
This is made from some of the most durable materials that you can find, whether it is carbon fiber for the blade or stonewashed titanium for the handle.
- Great materials - if you are looking for a knife that is durable and will last you a few years, then this is the one that you’ll want to have.
- Ergonomic handles - with two-finger indents and smooth edges, you’ll be able to use this weapon for days of cutting and other odd jobs.
- Short blade - for anyone who needs a knife for close-quarters work, this is a great short blade.
- Good looking - if you are into aesthetics as well as functionality, then this is also a great knife, with a blue-anodized lock handle.
- Short blade - this might be too small for a lot of expert campers who want that extra length for heavy-duty sawing and cutting jobs.
Next up, we have a knife that comes with a sheath for extra protection.
If you are looking for something that you can safely stow in your pocket, then this is the one for you.
This comes with a slightly longer 4-inch blade, which will definitely help you with those heavy-duty cutting jobs.
This comes with edge dulling resistance, which means that your knife will remain sharp even when you have used it for multiple tasks.
This comes with a notched sheath that you can be sure will give you a solid grip.
If you are wielding this knife for heavy tasks, then this is a great unit to have.
It comes made from stainless steel, making it one of the easiest knives that you can clean.
This is important for removing dry dirt or dry food matter if you are using it for hunting.
This company will ensure that you’ll have the best blade in the long term.
They are willing to consider all replacement and repair costs.
- This knife comes with a handy sheath that will not only keep the blade intact but will keep it sharper for longer.
- Top-quality materials - if you are looking for a blade that is very durable even against the sturdiest of ropes, then this is the blade for you.
- A sheath - if you want that added level of protection, then this comes with a sheath. It will also give you protection when it is in your pocket.
- Great handle - this comes with a sturdy and comfortable grip, which will really help you when you are cutting through the brush.
- This is a short knife that you might find with the Benchmade bugouts, so if you want something closer to that model, then we would recommend picking up one of these.
Choose the Spyderco Tenacious Folding Utility Pocket Knife if you want a knife with a long blade and wider handle that is much CHEAPER than the Benchmade Bugout.
Next up, we have a knife that is perfect for anyone for whom length is very important.
This knife comes with some great functionality, including an ergonomic handle, good grip and decent blade rotation.
This comes with a laminate handle, which will certainly help you to hold the knife much easier.
When it comes to cutting wood and thick rope, you’ll need a firm hold on your knife.
This comes with a longer blade, which means that you have a greater length to saw, meaning you can cut through any wood a lot easier.
This has a wider handle, that will give you the secure grip that you’ll need when dealing with a longer and wider blade.
This is also much cheaper than the Benchmade bugout, coming in at around half of the price.
This comes with a hole in the blade that will allow you to hang this knife on a tree or a hook in your tent.
This makes it much easier to grab and go without having to sheath it.
However, if you do need to fold away your blade, then this one does it smoothly and efficiently, with a locking clasp for extra safety.
- Ergonomically designed - this comes with many specific features that will allow you a secure and comfortable grip, including a thumb hold, a slip-proof surface and a textured spine.
- Locking mechanism - if you are looking for something that you can use to lock this knife firmly into place, then this is a great option.
- Great for light work - while this might not be suited to heavy hacking jobs like woodwork, it will be more than capable of slicing rope.
- Fiberglass handle - this is made from some of the best materials, including fiberglass, which is very durable and can be bought very cheaply.
- Lightweight - this knife might not be suitable for harder hacking jobs. For that, you might need something with a thicker blade and handle.
Next up, we have a great knife that is extremely compact and will give you everything that you need for slicing things with greater control.
This knife has an overall length of around 4-inches, which is very important if you want a knife that is extremely compact and will not add too much to the overall weight of your kit bag.
This comes with a ridged handle that will be perfect for gripping.
With such a short blade, control will be the most important thing that you’ll need, especially in the handle.
This is made from stainless steel, which is not only one of the hardest metals out there, but it will also give you the ability to be able to clean it thoroughly, which is important for keeping your blade nice and sharp.
This is also a very cheap knife, which might appeal to someone who has spent a lot of money on camping gear but might not have that much to spare for extras.
- Short and easy to handle - when it comes to having the right length of blades, then this one is great, perfect for carving and other intricate jobs.
- Good handle - with a flat and wide handle that comes with ridges, you’ll be able to have a firm grip on your materials.
- Retractable blade - this is very important when it comes to storage and safety. You can have this blade in your pocket and not have to worry about it unsheathing in your pocket.
- Aesthetically pleasing - if you are looking for a knife that will look as sturdy as it feels, then you can’t go far wrong with this one.
- Too short - it goes without saying that this is only suitable for cutting things with a very narrow radius. You might have trouble chopping anything thicker than kindling with this one.
Why seek a Benchmade Bugout replacement?
Finding the ideal knife is like finding the perfect pair of trousers.
You’ll test a variety of swords, some of which will be too huge, some of which will be too little, some of which will be too lengthy, some of which will be too shorter, some of which will be too weighty, and some of which will be too lightweight.
While the Benchmade Bugout is a popular all-arounder, it is not suitable for all hand sizes and is very pricey, leaving it out of reach for those on a tighter knife budget.
For some, the Bugout’s feather-light weight is a prominent selling feature.
However, a heavier choice may be preferable for individuals who want a bit more force from their knife!
When you are buying a decent knife, then you’ll certainly want to pay attention to the composition, what materials it is made from, as well as how it is designed.
Just one flaw in any of these can lead to your knife becoming totally redundant for your needs.
Here are a few things that you should be looking for for a decent quality knife:
How Long Is The Blade?
When it comes to having the right length of blade, we would recommend something that is at least 3 inches.
You should also have a blade that is quite thick and will give you everything that you need to slice through kindling and rope.
The length of the blade will also need to be accompanied by a handle that is just as sturdy and at least equal in length.
If you have a blade that is longer than the handle, then it will become too top-heavy and harder to handle.
What Is It Made From?
The material of your blade will be the most important thing that you’ll need to consider.
If you are working with carbon fiber, then you can be sure that it will be able to withstand all different types of cutting tasks.
A lot of blades are also made from titanium.
This material is some of the strongest you can get and if you equip it with a large blade, then you can be sure that it will make small work of even the thickest branches and rope.
Another great material for knives is stainless steel.
This material is not only durable, but you can wipe it down very easily.
This is very important for maintaining the integrity of your blade and ensuring that it does not dull over time.
How Much Does It Cost?
This will certainly be important for the novice who might not be that well acquainted with using camping knives.
You might not want to shell out that much money on your first knife.
This is because you’ll want to get used to the weight and the feel of your knife because you hand over around $100 or more on a state-of-the-art knife.
The more you spend on a knife does not guarantee you greater control over the blade.
You’ll need to make sure that the knife you are buying comes with plenty of testimonies from knife experts with good ratings.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Benchmark Bugout knife?
This type of knife is known for its compactness, as well as having decent weight and handling abilities.
It is great if you are looking for a knife that will be able to handle small camping tasks like chopping kindling, opening tin cans and slicing off lengths of rope.
Can I Sheath A Bugout Blade?
Most of the knives that we have listed above come with the ability to either fold away or come with their own sheath.
A sheath is very important if you are going to be stowing your knife away in your pocket and you don’t want it slicing through your jeans or your leg.
How Can I Clean My Knife?
You should make sure that you don’t use any harsh chemicals, as this will compromise the sharpness and the sheen of your blade.
We would recommend just using ordinary dish soap and warm water, making sure to dry the blade completely after use.
Alternatives To Benchmade Bugout Knife
We hope that this article has helped you to decide which is the best Benchmark bugout alternative for your needs.
You’ll need to make sure that your knife has all the right properties for the specific tasks you're going to be performing with it.
If I had to pick one Benchmade Bugout Alternative, it would be the...
- One of the most durable and fast-opening knives that you can get.
- A flipper tab for easy opening.
- This knife is very evenly weighted and will feel solid in your grip.
- Ergonomic and easy on your hand.
- Similar in length and build quality to the Benchmade bugout.
Last update on 2022-08-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API