Do you have a burning question about Survival and Disaster Shelters, Survivalism or Prepping that you want answered?
Then there's a good chance that you can find the answer here because I've answered a list of all the frequently asked Survival Shelter and Prepper questions I hear frequently.
Will a steel disaster shelter rust out?
Steel shelters can last for up to 100 years depending on moisture levels, soil type, and other external factors.
Can my disaster shelter leak?
Any shelter can leak, to avoid this build it away from high water conditions and sited in a place where rain water will drain away from the shelter. Do not place your shelter at the bottom of a hill.
In hurricane prone areas a steel shetler is not a good idea.
Will my disaster shelter protect my family from the heat and toxic gases generated by “firestorms”?
It's nearly impossible to say as it depends on too many external factors.
What about using steel sea shipping containers for underground shelters?
People use shipping containers as they are cheap and widely available but they don't make for great survival shelters.
Due to rusting and corrosion you have a structure of questionable safety.
Why build a shelter when all I need is some duct tape and plastic sheeting?
It's a myth that duct tape and plastic sheeting will save you from any sort of biological or chemical attack.
Can I build a shelter in my basement?
Yes, but it may not be very effective due to the likely cramped nature of it. And there will be little room for your food, water, toilet and other neccessities.
Why build a shelter at all?
To protect yourself from disaster situations, emergencies, and biological / chemical / nuclear attacks from the Soviets or China or other hostile regimes.
What's the best Survival knife?
Some of the best brands include...
- KA Bar Knives
- SpyderCo Knives
- You might also consider a neck knife.
What's the best way to chop wood for a fire or building a shelter?
- Use a felling axe for the initial chopping.
- Or a machete if that's all you have to hand.
- Alternatively a tomahawk can be used.
- And then a camping saw to break any wood down into smaller pieces.
How do I light a fire? What about if I have no matches or lighter?
- Always carry a permanent match with you for emergency heat.
- Failing that here's how to start a fire without matches or lighter.
- If you've never started a fire before then read this first.
What if I need to bug out, what's the best plan?
- Have your vehicle bugged out in advance.
- Pick a bug out location in advance.
- Build your shelter in advance so it's ready when you need it.
- Consider building an underground bunker where possible.
- For short term shelter a simple tarp can be effective.
What about food, how should I prepare?
- Here's 7 easy prepper recipes.
- And learn how to cook with rocks, fire, and other items of nature here.
What type of flashlight should I carry?
- This is probably the best AAA flashlight available.
- If you need a smaller pocket flashlight then consider this one.
What other essential survival gear do I need?
- Carry a SAM Splint if out hiking in the wilderness, it can save your life.
- A solid pair of boots for rucking, trekking, and hiking.
- You'll of course need a durable and sizeable backpack.
- A poncho to keep you and your gear dry during bad weather.
- To save carrying endless tools a multi-tool can be very useful.
- If you plan to be digging then a camping shovel is practical.
- Don't forget your basic "every day carry" items either.
I'm on a tight budget, can I still prep?
- Absolutely, you can prep on the cheap regardless of your budget.
If SHTF then what should I be expecting?
- Don't wait till it happens and instead be prepared in advance and secure your home.
- Consider keeping essential tools, food, gear and even advanced stuff like radiation detectors.
The Most Common Prepper & Disaster and Survival Shelter Questions Answered
I hope that's answered some of your queries.
And if you have any common questions about Survival Shelters, Prepping, or EDC then get in touch and I'll gladly answer your question here on this page for the world to take advantage of.