A well stocked bug out bag is a pillar of any survival planing. A bug out bag is a portable survival kit containing the essential items that can help you survive and stay safe during emergencies. Below must-have items for your bug out bag to make sure you're ready for any situation.
- Water and Hydration
Fact: the human body can only survive a few days without water. Water is a top priority for any bug out bag. When preparing a bug out bag, make sure it include:
- Water bottles or hydration bladders
- Water purification tablets or a portable water filter
- Collapsible water container for additional water storage
- Food and Nutrition
Beside water, it is critical to prepare food and nutrition. You need to pack non-perishable, high-calorie foods that require minimal preparation:
- Energy bars and protein bars
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Ready-to-eat meals (MREs) or freeze-dried meals
- A compact camping stove and fuel (optional)
- Vegan Mexican Plant Protein Bowl: Add a kick of flavor and 12 grams of...
- No Prep, No Mess, Authentic Indian Cuisine in 90 Seconds: Add a little...
- All Natural, Vegan, Nothing Artificial: We use the best all natural...
- PORTABLE: Easy addition to the campsite, picnic, roadside, and more
- TWO WIND GUARDS: Help shield and protect burners from wind
- HEAVY-DUTY LATCH: Easy to open and keeps the stove closed when not in use
- Shelter and Warmth
Protecting yourself from the elements is critical. You may not know when you are able to return home, so you need to be ready for all temperatures and weather.
- A lightweight, waterproof tent or emergency bivvy
- A durable and compact sleeping bag
- A sleeping pad or ground cover
- A thermal blanket or emergency blanket
- S.O.L. emergency bivvy reflects 90% of body heat to prevent heat loss and...
- Waterproof and windproof material protects you from high winds and the...
- Survival gear bivvy includes tinder paracord for fire starting and...
- 4 Pack emergency sleeping bags survival Bivvy sack size 36 * 84 inches;...
- KEEP WARM - Made of durable insulating Mylar material, premium choice for...
- MULTIPURPOSE EMERGEMCY USES -The emergency bivvy bag serves as your...
- Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets - Emergency Blanket,Space Blanket,Thermal...
- Space Blanket Survival kit Camping Blanket (Pack of 4)- Each survival...
- EMERGENCY USE - Perfect for emergency situations where warmth or protection...
Just like preparing for the elements, your clothing needs to be is versatile and appropriate for various weather conditions:
- Moisture-wicking base layers
- Insulating mid-layers
- Waterproof and windproof outer layers
- A hat, gloves, and extra socks
- WATERPROOF – Fully Seam Taped Jacket and Pant Rain Suit designed with...
- JACKET FEATURES – Adjustable and removable hood, full length parka fits...
- PANTS FEATURES – Pull on adjustable elastic waist, adjustable leg...
- First Aid and Personal Hygiene
A well-stocked first aid kit and personal hygiene items are essential:
- Bandages, gauze, and adhesive tape
- Antiseptic wipes and antibiotic ointment
- Pain relievers, allergy medications, and any prescription medications
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc.)
- 160-piece Johnson & Johnson All-Purpose Portable Emergency First Aid Kit is...
- All-purpose, compact first aid kit includes essential first aid supplies...
- Includes a variety of Band-Aid Brand Adhesive Bandages in assorted sizes...
- Tools and Equipment
Equip your bug out bag with practical tools and equipment:
- A multi-tool or a sturdy fixed-blade knife
- A reliable flashlight or headlamp with extra batteries
- A firestarter (matches, lighter, or ferrocerium rod)
- A compact portable radio or emergency communication device
- Paracord and duct tape
- Navigation and Signaling
Stay on course and make your presence known in case of rescue:
- A compass and detailed maps of your area
- A whistle and signal mirror for attracting attention
- A GPS device or smartphone with offline maps (optional)
- Personal Documents and Cash
Carry essential documents and some emergency cash:
- Copies of identification, passports, and insurance documents
- A list of emergency contacts
- Cash in small denominations and coins
Building a comprehensive bug out bag is an essential step towards ensuring your safety and well-being in emergency situations. Customize your bag to fit your specific needs and regularly update its contents to maintain its effectiveness. With a well-prepared bug out bag, you'll be ready to face any disaster with confidence.
I am an independent safety and survival expert and consultant. I have over 15+ years of experience working with corporations and individuals to help identify, remediate and prepare for threats and and disasters. I help clients understand risks and blog about my thoughts and techniques at DisasterShelters.net
Last update on 2023-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API